Doing our bit for a sustainable future
Sustainability is a theme that is very dear to our hearts at GEWO. As a company we recognise our responsibility towards our customers, our employees and the environment so we are committed to playing our part in ensuring a sustainable future. We are constantly improving and expanding our sustainability measures. To enable us to pursue this objective consistently, the theme of sustainability is a permanent feature of our corporate objectives.
Our sustainability measures are comprehensive and fully traceable. Here are some examples:
Forward-looking energy concept
- All the electricity we use is green – we are happy to absorb the slight extra cost.
- Our technical systems are equipped with heat recovery facilities. We use the heat we recover from them to heat our warehouse.
Environmentally sound logistics system
- We source as many products as we can regionally, particularly for packaging. Packaging products are usually very large-volume and are expensive to transport. By sourcing regionally we can keep transportation to a minimum.
- Our goods are shipped to our distribution centre by a certified service provider that uses state-of-the-art logistics and distribution technology and has a modern lorry fleet.
Carefully selected partners
- We always give priority to regional suppliers. This enables us to avoid excessive road or air miles and helps protect the environment.
- Our suppliers are ISO certified and operate a reliable environmental management system. These are key criteria which we look out for when selecting a supplier.
Use of low environmental impact materials
- When selecting materials to use, we always take their ecological credentials into account. In addition, we only use completely safe ingredients.
- All our suppliers use water-based printing inks, and most use low-migration inks.
Diversity and equal opportunities
- The GEWO production and administration teams come from many different countries. We have people from countries including Germany, Italy, Russia, Tunisia and France.
- Women and men are employed on entirely equal terms. There are no gender-specific pay differences. Fifty percent of the GEWO management team are women.